Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Date To Target



I don't think that this is very exciting, but I still wanted to share!

Emmy fell asleep on the way home from lunch today, so she had a little power nap and wouldn't go back to sleep when we got home. After I got Addy fed and down for her nap, I decided to get out of the house and run to Target with Emmy. Tim had some studying to do, so it left him with a quiet house!

Emmy and I had the BEST time! I only had 2 things to get, but I LOVE Target and could just walk around all day and look. Anyway, first of all we got one of those carts that has the big red thing hooked onto it for older children to sit in. She always BEGS to ride in it, but with Addy, it's impossible. We took our time and looked at clothes, shoes, baby stuff, etc. I decided to cut through the aisle with the bathroom accessories. Emmy asked to stop when she saw a Cinderella soap dispenser. Usually, I would tell her no and go on...because I'm always in such a "hurry". Today, I stopped and let her hold it. She asked to hold several princess items on the shelf. When I told her it was time to walk on, she said "Thank you so much, Mommy, for letting me hold the princess thing!" It was so sweet! I thought to myself how just the smallest thing made her so happy. I don't know that I've really taken the time to do something that "special" since maybe before Addy was born. After that, we started checking out and she asked for a ring-pop. (It's a tradition that if she's good at Target, she gets a ring-pop when we leave.) We were having so much fun that I decided to get us some popcorn and an icee before we left. She was so excited and picked the blue icee. We shared the snack and just sat on some bar stools looking out the window of Target.



I think that I'm going to try to start getting out of the house with just Emmy more often now. I didn't realize how much things had changed since Addy was born! First of all, it was a piece of cake to be out with just one child. It felt like I was just with a friend! I also noticed how we got to have good conversation, not that you can converse about a lot with a 3 year old, but you get my drift! :-)



One of the main things I realized from out little outing was that I am always in such a hurry! Why? I don't always have to be somewhere, but it seems that every time I'm out with my kids I have to quickly tell Emmy no because "I don't have time", I grab the paper towel in the bathroom for her because "I can do it faster" or won't let her climb in her car seat herself because "it takes too long". Our battles are usually over things like that and today for the first time it clicked. I DON'T HAVE TO ALWAYS BE IN A HURRY. I get sad often because my girls are growing so fast, but really I'm the one rushing them through everything. I hate it that probably for the past 3 years I've been this way and am just now realizing it...

Don't get me wrong, me and Emmy have had some wonderful moments together that I will treasure forever. I also have a wonderful bond with Addy and have had several sweet moments with her, as well. My point is that I want to make sure that I am thoroughly enjoying EVERY second with them. I know that before I know it they will be 16 and driving or 18 and getting tattoos (HEAVEN FORBID!) This time is so precious and I don't want to miss the sweet moments-even if it is running to Target for diapers and wipes...

Thanks for "listening"!

Haley

4 comments:

Laurie said...

So fun! Gabbie & I love our "girl time." We try to go out every week or two together and many times it is to Target. :) She also loves sitting in that big, red ridey thing.

P.S. So funny about the tattoo comment...although, in Hannah's defense, her's is very tasteful and adorable. Love it!

Anonymous said...

What a cute post, especially the photo at the top! :)

ocean mommy said...

You two are the sweetest things. :)

And I just about died when I saw Hannah's tattoo photos on FB!!! I just kept thinking...ouch. I'm such a sissy. :)

Hugs
steph.

God's girl said...

That is the sweetest thing! Dates with the children are such a good thing they help them feel special. You are a good mommy!
Much love,
Angela