Sunday, January 23, 2011

Happy 5th Birthday, Emmy!

I am happy to say that I have almost finished the birthday recaps! Yay! I am pretty proud of myself. Again, I am keeping this for just my own personal family journal, so if ya don't want to read all about it, just look at the pictures of my sweet family! :-) (Or of course you can just read this blog whenever I have some more interesting posts for you!)

Ok...I know I've already said.."I can't believe Addy is 2!" and "I can't believe Lucy is here and 9 months!", but SERIOUSLY. HOW IN THE WORLD IS EMMY FIVE?!?!?!?! That has to be impossible since I just had her, you know, YESTERDAY! Why does time have to go by so fast?

We really enjoyed celebrating Emmy's birthday this year! It was very laid back and I think I've decided that that's what we'll do from now on. We always want to make our children feel special, but I am just learning that you don't have to spend a lot of money or invite the whole world to make them feel that way! I'd say Emmy felt very loved at her party and that's what's most important!

I have to admit that we did encourage Emmy to have her birthday at Chick-fil-a. We know the owner of the particular one we always go to, almost all of the managers, and several of the employees. Not to mention that we all love the food there! It just made sense! (I also kinda liked that idea that I wouldn't have to clean my house! ha!) I also need to add that they were SO sweet and hospitable! Honestly, I would expect nothing less there. We <3 C-F-A!

Emmy's party was a Tinkerbell theme this year. Instead of buying invitations, she decided that she wanted to make them! I am SO sad that I didn't take a picture of them all before we sent them. Such is life. She pretty much always draws fairies, princesses, rainbows, or butterflies these days, so I knew she would do a great job. That she did!

We met several of our family members and a few of her cute friends for her little party! We started off by playing in the indoor playground until everyone got there. We then had a dinner of none other than chicken nuggets and fries. The girls were all surprised by the Chick-fil-a cow during dinner! I loved how all of them reacted! Emmy felt SO special.

After dinner, we served Tinkerbell cupcakes and then opened presents. We try not to emphasize presents and for the past 2 birthday's I have actually suggested to not worry about presents. EVERYONE brought her one and for that we are so thankful. Emmy is one blessed little girl! After she opened all of her presents, with a nudge from Mommy, she went around and thanked everyone for her presents and for coming to her party. She didn't need much prompting because she is naturally sweet and polite. I'm proud of my girl! The rest of the night was just spent playing and saying goodbye! All in all, it was a perfect party and she has already informed me that she wants it there again next year!

Like Addy, Emmy's birthday fell on a Sunday, as well, this year. We went to church, but ended up taking her to her favorite restaurant, Ichiban-a Japanese steakhouse. We had so much fun! Our lunch was yummy and Emmy even got a special fruit dessert at the end. She asked about it for weeks before her party, so we made sure to get one. Even though we didn't do a whole lot on her actual birthday, I KNOW she had a great day!

The cupcake and presents table
 The birthday girl!

Emmy's little friends B & L (L's little sister, E, came too! Somehow I managed to not get any pictures of her!)
 Baby Kennedy was only 2 weeks old!

 Tim got stuck at the girls table. :-) I think he has just decided to embrace this role since he has 3 daughters!

I could NOT get Zachary to smile for a picture! Silly boy!

Addy got to come, too, of course!

She was THRILLED!

Present time!

 Emmy thanking everyone!

 All of her wonderful gifts! (The Jessie doll in the background had already been opened!)

 Mommy and Emmy at Ichiban

 Tim and Addy at Ichiban

 Lucy! I guess I was in the middle of feeding her when I took this!

 Her birthday fruit!

 She was very excited!

 Happy birthday to me!
Emmy's 4th birthday!
Emmy's 5th birthday!

Emmy Kathryn,
We love you so much, Baby Girl! So much happened this year! To be honest, in a lot of ways it was a hard year because you are very independent and strong willed (which are NOT always bad things!). We are trying to learn how to balance the positive qualities of those characteristics and try to guide you through the negative ones. 

You became a big sister again this year and I must say that you are amazing at that. You have learned so much and are now starting to read, can do simple mathematics (i.e. 6-1=5, 2+2=4), can write all of your letters & family members names, and you can draw very well and stay in the lines when you color! I am excited to see if the Lord is gonna do some work in you this year. Just today (1/23/10) you told me you wanted to get baptized. I know you have a little ways to go, but I thought that was neat! You also pray every single day that your whole family will trust Jesus as their Savior. I love it!

There is SO much more to you, precious thing! I am humbled at the way God has used you to teach me so many things about myself and my relationship with Him. You have the sweetest spirit and are so smart! Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you and are so thankful that your sisters have you to set an example for them. Happy birthday!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so proud of you, Emmy! When you do get baptized I can't wait to celebrate with you!!

Laurie said...

Wish we could have celebrated the Big 5 with Emmy! These are the posts that make me sad at all that our kids are missing out on in each other's lives. I have no doubt that G&E would be inseparable if they lived closer. :) Give that big 5 year old hugs and kisses from all of us! xoxoxox