Sunday, January 4, 2009

87 Years Young

"Gray hair is a crown of splendor. It is attained by a righteous life."

Proverbs 16:31



Today is a very special day! It is my Papa's (mother's father) 87th birthday! Can I get an Amen?! This man is probably one of the most wonderful people I know. I know he's my grandfather, but REALLY, he is AMAZING! First of all, he has been happily married for 60 years this past June, he works out with his friends 2 or 3 times a week, is very faithful in his church, visits the nursing home once a week, attends a prayer breakfast with several other men once a week, is obviously in wonderful health and is the most generous, sweet spirited person that I know. Needless to say, he's not a typical 87 year old man. And let me tell you, he has not had it easy. He lost his mother at a very young age (I believe it was 2 or 3) and was mothered by his not much older sister. His father also died when he was a young adult. He was in the Air Force in World War II, shot down in Germany and was a POW. After he married, he worked hard to support his family. In just the last 4 years he has watched his 46 year old daughter battle breast cancer and pass away, watched his wife just months later go through a second mastectomy (and praise the Lord it didn't spread!), and gone through heart surgery where a 99% blockage was found and a stint had to be put in. Even though he has been through some really tough stuff, he has also managed to put his hope and trust in the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and that, my friend, is his biggest accomplishment. If the Lord allows me to live that long, my prayer is that I will be even half the person he is. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful, God-fearing example in my life!



If you get to read this, Happy 87th Birthday, Papa! I love you!



Haley

3 comments:

Danyel said...

You are so sweet. Tom IS a great guy, and I hope he has many more wonderful years ahead of him. Happy Birthday Great Uncle Tom! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Papa! I agree 100%, he is every bit as wonderful as you said!! He has always welcomed me like family too, hope he has many more bdays to come!

Vanessa Lee said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your Granddad! That's AWESOME!

Also, i tagged you. :) Play if you want!